History of Ananda Crest runs back to the period of the Principal M U Moore (1910 – 1914) who was an Irish by birth.
The original crest created was of shape of shield. As figures, there was a Buddhist Flags at either side. The Motto (in Pal) “Appamado Amathapadang” (that means Diligence leads to Perfection) was written under the figures.
It was in the mid 1920’s when former Principal Mr. P. De.S Kularathne altered the location of Pali Motto to the top of the Crest written in Sinhalese with the idea that the motto in Pali that conveys a message of Lord Buddha should not be at the bottom. Consequent a redesign form of the Crest came into be with the Stupa radiating rays depicting spreading of light of the doctrine of Lord Buddha and a lion and a lotus under it reflecting the protection of the Noble Doctring of Lord Buddha in its purity.
Mr. M E Fernando receives the honour of redesigning the crest and he is a versatile personality who also composed the Anthem of Ananda College around in 1930’s.